* Must be a United States citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States.
* Must be 5 years of age or older at the time service hours are begun for participation in the PVSA program.
* Must be associated with a registered Certifying Organization in good standing.
* Awards are issued for volunteer service only. Additional levels of participation with the organization, e.g., charitable support, are not a factor considered for the award.
* Individuals conducting service that receive stipends do not qualify. (AmeriCorps participants are allowed to apply the hours served during their stipend year towards the Lifetime Achievement Award following your active year)
* Court ordered community service does not apply to PVSA service hours.
* Must perform volunteer activities eligible for the award. Most voluntary service is eligible, with the following exceptions: political lobbying, religious instruction, conducting worship service, proselytizing, and serving only family members. Non-partisan voter registration is an eligible activity.
* Hours for each award level must be completed within a 12-month time period. (exception for awards based on Lifetime achievement)
* Must not be under a criminal indictment or have been convicted of a felony in any State or Federal court, unless the individual has completed the sentence and shown complete rehabilitation by an appropriate passage of time as determined by POL and CNCS, as well as by specific acts reflecting rehabilitation other that the acts constituting PVSA service hours. Any contemplated award based on this exception must first be approved by POL and CNCS working in concert.
* Failure to meet the criteria or to deceive a certifying organization with any of the requirements listed herein may result in revocation of the individual's award.
BHCFL's Award year runs from June 1- May 31st.
Once you establish a volunteer account, you may submit your community service hours to us for review and track your own hours using our ROS Key(Record of Service).